- About Us
- Research Programmes
- AFR PhD & Postdoc Grants
- Private-Public Collaborations & Innovation
- International Cooperation
- Science in Society
- Support for Research Communication
- Calls, Forms & Guidelines
- FNR Awards
- News & Events
- Searchable Project Database
AFR Postdoc Grants
The FNR's AFR Postdoc Grant Scheme (Aides à la Formation-Recherche) provides funding for postdoctoral research training projects in Luxembourg and abroad for up to 2 years.
The FNR contributes to the improvement of working conditions and career perspectives for researchers, on the one hand by enabling employment contracts between AFR beneficiaries and their host institutions and on the other hand by raising awareness of researchers' rights and responsibilities at an early career stage.
AFR contributes to the development of human resources in Luxembourg R&D, translated in the long term by an increased number of qualified researchers pursuing a research career beyond their period of AFR funding. Particular importance is laid on the selection of high-quality proposals. The FNR sets quality standards for doctoral research training in Luxembourg.
The AFR postdoc grants receive financial support under the Marie-Curie-Actions of the European Commission.
Who Is Eligible?
- Applicants must be holders of a PhD diploma. They can apply until up to 8 years after obtaining their PhD.
- The research work has to be carried out in a different country from where the applicant has been principally (>12 months) working in the 24 months preceding the call deadline.
- Under the AFR scheme, early-stage researchers are eligible for the AFR PhD grant and consecutively for the AFR Postdoc grant (under the condition that they respect a mobility clause).
The AFR programme has no thematic limitations and is open to all researchers, regardless of their nationality, desirous to engage into research training in Luxembourg or abroad. In the selection process, the interest of the project in the context of Luxembourg R&D will nevertheless be evaluated.
The project proposals will be assessed according to the following key criteria :
- Scientific quality of the research project
- Profile of the applicant
- Quality of the host institution
- Interest of the research project in the Luxembourg R&D setting
For postdocs, in addition : The potential of the research project for their career development.
For AFR beneficiaries with work contracts, the FNR pays a contribution to the annual salary costs of the Host Institution as follows :
|2014 - Salary Index 775.17||Postdoc|
max. AFR contribution
(including employers’ charges)
|56,975 EUR / year|
max. AFR contribution (incl. employer’s
charges) in case of a public-private
|62,169 EUR / year|
For AFR beneficiaries without work contracts, the FNR pays a fellowship (bourse) to the recipients :
|max. AFR contribution (fellowship)||25,200 EUR / year|
supplements paid in case of a
The 2014-2 Call for AFR postdoc Grants is open.