- About Us
- Funding Instruments
- AFR PhD & Postdoc Grants
- Private-Public Collaborations & Innovation
- International Cooperation
- Science in Society
- Support for Research Communication (RESCOM)
- Calls, Forms & Guidelines
- FNR Awards
- FNR Publications
- News & Events
- Searchable Project Database
The National Research Fund Luxembourg (FNR) is the main funder of research activities in Luxembourg. The FNR invests public funds into research projects in various branches of science and the humanities, with an emphasis on selected core strategic areas. Furthermore, the FNR supports and coordinates activities to strengthen the link between science and society and to raise awareness for research. It also advises the Luxembourg government on research policy and strategy.
To establish Luxembourg as a leading knowledge-based society through science, research and innovation, thereby contributing to the country’s economic diversification and future prosperity.
To set up a sustainable world-class research system in Luxembourg that will generate societal and economic impact in key strategic areas.
Our strategic priorities
The FNR sees itself as a driving force for Luxembourg’s innovation capabilities and focuses on the three following strategic objectives to foster research with impact:
• Attaining scientific leadership in key areas. By setting the highest quality standards, the FNR contributes to establishing international research excellence in Luxembourg. By attracting and training the most talented scientists, the FNR helps to build critical mass in key research areas, thereby supporting economic development and societal progress.
• Turning public research into a competitive advantage for Luxembourg. The FNR supports the advancement of Luxembourg’s knowledge-based economy by supporting industry-informed research, by reinforcing co-operation between public research and innovative industries and by facilitating the commercial exploitation of research results.
• Anchoring science and research in society. The FNR promotes the active involvement of researchers and scientists in addressing current and future societal challenges. To ensure that research is established sustainably in the public consciousness as an important pillar of Luxembourg’s knowledge society, the FNR supports an active exchange between scientists and the public at large.
A Performance Contract, concluded with the Ministry of Higher Education and Research, sets the budgetary frame for the well-defined short- and long-term objectives.
Our key values
The FNR’s key values are excellence and quality in research. The FNR systematically submits funding proposals to an evaluation by independent scientific experts and applies the highest standards of scientific merit, transparency, impartiality, confidentiality and integrity.
Since 2000, the FNR has implemented
- various thematic and structural Research Programmes, through which research projects in priority areas for Luxembourg are financed,
- the AFR (Aides à la formation-recherche) Grant Scheme as well as the PRIDE Scheme, with the objective to financially support PhDs and postdocs in their training,
- various Science in Society grants and activities to strengthen the exchange and dialogue between science and society, and to promote science and research towards the general public, and above all young people,
- various grants under the Support for Research Communication scheme, to promote scientific outcomes and exchanges.