- About Us
- Funding Instruments
- AFR PhD & Postdoc Grants
- Private-Public Collaborations & Innovation
- International Cooperation
- Science in Society
- Support for Research Communication (RESCOM)
- Calls, Forms & Guidelines
- FNR Awards
- FNR Publications
- News & Events
- Searchable Project Database
INTER Mobility Programme: Call for Proposals
Contact at the FNR: Dr Carlo Duprel
The aim of the INTER Mobility Programme is to promote the scientific exchange between research groups of the Luxembourg public research institutions and research groups abroad in order to foster innovative, internationally competitive research and support the exchange of key knowledge and technological know-how. Thus the activities should have a strong impact on the research programme of the Luxembourg research group as well as on the career development of the researcher. The INTER Mobility Programme allows for research stays in both directions (researchers working in Luxembourg to go abroad or for researchers from elsewhere to come to Luxembourg).
More specifically, the FNR intends to support:
- Post-Docs and senior researchers working in Luxembourg to visit the leading research institutions in the field or
- The visit of established senior researchers in Luxembourg public research institutions.
Within the INTER Mobility Scheme, the FNR does not intend to support research stays of early stage researchers (e.g. PhD candidates).
This funding instrument also aims to bridge the gap between the research communities in the public and the private sector. Therefore, secondments to private companies outside of Luxembourg are highly welcome.
- The beneficiaries has to be a public institution (e.g. University of Luxembourg or the Luxembourg public research centers), a Luxembourg administration or a public service authorised to undertake R&D activities or technology transfer in their respective fields of activity.
- The exchange must take place between a Luxembourg public research institution and a foreign public or private institution. If duly justified, the Luxembourg-based researcher may also visit several organisations abroad. If duly justified, the proposal may also cover the expenses for two researchers (e.g. one from the Luxembourg based group to the group abroad and one from the group abroad to the Luxembourg group).
- The researcher must be employed as a researcher by his/her home institution before, during, and after the visit; and he/she must not have benefitted of support by this funding instrument within the last three years.
- The researcher and the host institution will have to establish a contractual agreement guaranteeing that all necessary arrangements have been met in order to accomplish the secondment successfully.
- There are no thematic or geographical limitations
- The secondment has to be carried out in a different country from where the fellow has been principally (> 12 months) working in the 24 months preceding the call deadline.
Duration of the research stay and of FNR Funding
- The minimal duration of an FNR-funded research stay is 6 weeks.
- The total cumulated duration of the research stay is limited to 1 year.
- If justified, the research stay may be split in several intervals of at least 6 weeks each.
- The time between the start of the first stay period and the end of the last stay period is limited to 3 years.
- Salary costs of the researcher. For a Luxembourg researcher going abroad, the FNR will cover the full salary of the researcher for the whole duration of the research stay. In the case of a foreign researcher coming to Luxembourg, the FNR funding should guarantee that the researcher will benefit from a funding which is comparable to a standard salary of a researcher (with the same track record) of the Luxembourg host institution. If the researcher still benefits from a salary of his/her home institution, the FNR funding will be reduced accordingly.
- Travel costs between home country country and host institution for researcher and family. In this context, "family" is defined as persons linked to the researcher by (i) marriage, or (ii) a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the national legislation of the country of the host organisation or of the nationality of the fellow; or (iii) dependent children who are currently being maintained by the fellow.
- Mobility allowance for researcher and accompanying partner and family, if applicable. In addition to his/her salary, a mobility allowance will be paid to the researcher, taking due account of his/her family situation. This allowance is a flat-rate contribution to cover the personal household, relocation and travel expenses. There are two reference amounts depending on the family situation of the researcher at the time of the recruitment of the researcher: €1500/month for a researcher with family charges and €1000/month for a researcher without family charges. If the mobility allowance is largely insufficient to cover the living costs, a Luxembourg researcher going abroad may request additionalfunding. Based on this justification, the FNR will decide wether to provide funding beyond the lump sums mentioned above.
- Overhead costs (for Luxembourg host institution only)
- Mobility IN: limited to 25% of the costs for compensation, travel, living allowance and other costs
- Mobility OUT: no overhead costs covered
- Other costs (upon justification), e.g. VISA, additional health insurance, child care.
Please click here for the Call Documents.
Please click here for the INTER Mobility Call Deadlines.
Call Submission Procedure
All proposals must be submitted before the relevant submission deadline in electronic format to the FNR online submission system https://grants.fnr.lu
Call Review Process
Click here for the Review Form and the Peer Review Guidelines