The FNR encourages researchers, science communicators, students and those interested in science to submit web videos on science and research as part of the Fast Forward Science web video contest! The challenge: The videos should be entertaining, scientifically sound and comprehensible at the same time. Deadline is Monday, 22 July 2019.
The web video competition Fast Forward Science, endowed with a total of 20,000 EUR spread across three categories, is a joint project of Wissenschaft im Dialog and the Stifterverband and has been held annually since 2013. In the framework of its collaboration with Wissenschaft im Dialog (WiD), the FNR is a partner in 2019 Fast Forward web video contest.
The mission of Fast Forward Science is to make science web videos more visible: The medium of web video should be perceived and used more as a means of communication for scientific topics suitable for the masses.
The FNR is convinced that science communication has an important role to play in today’s society – many topics in politics and everyday life are complex and research contributes valuable input. Therefore, the FNR encourages researchers and science communicators to speak up and let their voices be heard – videos, via channels such as Youtube, is a great tool for reaching a wide audience.
In May 2019, the FNR organised a two-day workshop for 30 participants, who learned how to communicate science through the medium of video. Ahead of the workshop, a keynote talk was held by famous scientist and edutrainer Mai Thi Nguyen-Kim about why science and Youtube are a perfect fit. Find out more.
You can submit your video in one of the three categories SUBSTANCE, SCITAINMENT and VISION: You can freely choose the topic as long as it is related to current research and science.
What can I win?
In each category, a cash prize will be awarded as follows:
- 1st prize: 3000 EUR
- 2nd prize: 2000 EUR
- 3rd prize: 1000 EUR
In addition to the prize money, Fast Forward Science invites one member of each winning team to the award ceremony on 14 November in the STATE Studio in Berlin.
- Language: Videos can be in German or English, but must have German subtitles. The FNR is happy to help Luxembourg-based participants with the subtitles – if you plan to submit a video in English and need German subtitles, please send us your video by Wednesday, 17 July, 12:00, by sending an email to email@example.com
- Type: A web video that was first published online between 1 August 2018 and 22 July 2019 and can be found on YouTube.
- Content: A topic that is currently the subject of research. The reference to current science and research should become clear. In the VISION category, the focus is on visions for the future; it is therefore also possible to think beyond the current state of research.
- Length: There is no length restriction.
- Basics: The content must be free of minors and third party rights, must not violate any personal rights or copyright.
- People: You may submit a video alone or as a group of maximum 6 people.
View full Terms & Conditions on Fast Forward Website
In the framework of its collaboration with Wissenschaft im Dialog (WiD), the FNR is a partner in 2019 Fast Forward web video contest. If you submit, please mention your submission is in the framework of the FNR-WiD collaboration (not to be mentioned in the video itself, but in the supporting information).