The AFR-PPP scheme for PhD and Postdoc grants supports researchers who carry out their PhD and/or postdoc training in collaboration with a company in Luxembourg. The scheme is open to all researchers, regardless of their nationality. Collaborating companies must have a presence in Luxembourg.
AFR-PPP has two strands:
- Projects carried out in Luxembourg (IN): More than 50% of research time is spent in Luxembourg, under an employment contract.
- Projects carried out abroad (OUT): More than 50% of research time is spent outside Luxembourg, under an employment contract, but at least 25% of the work has to be spent at the company in Luxembourg.
- Postdoc grants are funded for 1 – 2 years
- PhD grants are funded for a maximum for 4 years.
The FNR pays the host institution a predefined amount towards the annual salary costs of the researcher on the AFR-PPP project. Collaborating companies are required to contribute with 15% of the FNR funding to the salary of the grantee.
- 2 Calls per year
- All applications must be submitted via the FNR Online Grant Management System.
- Funding decisions are communicated no more than 3 months after the submission deadline
- The project should be jointly developed by the applicant, the company and the public partner (e.g. the university)
- Companies need to provide an accreditation (‘agrément’) issued by the Ministry of Economic Affairs in order to be eligible (external link).
HOW TO FIND AN INDUSTRY PARTNER IN LUXEMBOURG
Luxembourg’s National Innovation Portal offers a list of national partners, which researchers may find useful when looking for an industry partner.
Overview of AFR-PPP funded projects 2008 – 2015