**Update 16 March 2020: Due to COVID-19, the FNR has decided to postpone the deadline for the submission of annual reports by 6 weeks, to 15 May 2020. The deadline for submission of proposals in the running Industrial Fellowships call has been postponed to 4 May 2020.**
The aim of the Industrial Fellowships programme (formerly AFR-PPP) is to foster the cooperation between Luxembourg based companies active in R&D and public research institutions in Luxembourg and/or abroad. The scheme awards PhD and Postdoc grants to researchers who carry out their PhD and/or postdoc training in collaboration with a company in Luxembourg. The scheme is open to all scientific domains, and to all researchers, regardless of their nationality. Collaborating companies must have a presence in Luxembourg.
The Industrial Fellowship scheme has two strands:
- Projects carried out in Luxembourg (IN): More than 50% of research time is spent in Luxembourg, under an employment contract.
- Projects carried out abroad (OUT): More than 50% of research time is spent outside Luxembourg, under an employment contract, but at least 25% of the work has to be spent at the company in Luxembourg.
The specific objectives of the programme are to:
- Prepare young scientists not only for an academic career, but also help in acquiring the necessary skills and competences for the private job market;
- Support knowledge transfer between higher education institutions and Luxembourg based companies active in R&D;
- Promote the development of industrial research capacity in Luxembourg through the recruitment of early stage researchers and the concomitant implementation of partnerships between companies and public research organisations.
Changes starting with the 2019-2 Industrial Fellowships Call
From the call 2019-2 onwards, beneficiaries applying for a Postdoc grant no longer need to have their PhD finished at the submission deadline. If no PhD-certificate can be submitted together with the proposal, it simply needs to be available by project start. However, no grant agreement will be signed without it.
- Postdoc grants are funded for 1 – 2 years
- PhD grants are funded for up to 4 years.
The FNR pays the host institution a predefined amount towards the annual salary costs of the researcher on the INDUSTRIAL FELLOWSHIPS project. Collaborating companies are required to contribute with 15% of the FNR funding to the salary of the grantee.
- 2 Calls per year
- All applications must be submitted via the FNR Online Grant Management System.
- Funding decisions are communicated no more than 3 months after the submission deadline
- The project should be jointly developed by the applicant, the company and the public partner (e.g. the university)
- Companies need to provide an accreditation (‘agrément’) issued by the Ministry of Economic Affairs in order to be eligible (external link).
HOW TO FIND AN INDUSTRY PARTNER IN LUXEMBOURG
Luxembourg’s National Innovation Portal offers a list of national partners, which researchers may find useful when looking for an industry partner.
Overview of AFR-PPP funded projects 2008 – 2015