The FNR and FWO have both signed Weave, a bottom-up, cross-European initiative developed by European research funders to support excellent collaborative research projects across borders. Weave has been signed by 12 funding agencies from 11 European countries.
Go to FNR WEAVE page
From 2021 onwards, both agencies can act as Lead Agency, i.e. collaborative proposals could be submitted either to the FWO as part of the channel for regular FWO research projects for fundamental research or to the FNR CORE call. The applicants can freely choose the Lead Agency among the agencies they are eligible for funding. If the collaborative proposal is submitted to the FWO, Luxembourg participants are required to submit an INTER application within 7 days after the joint proposal’s submission at the Lead Agency. (see “Weave info for Luxembourg based researchers”).
Weave allows for the funding of bilateral (i.e. FWO + FNR) or trilateral research consortia (i.e. FWO + FNR + a third funder). Due to a stepwise implementation of Weave by the signatories, not all collaborations are already eligible in 2021. Please check the Weave-website for more details.
The FNR and FWO have an agreement in place to support bilateral research projects between scientists based in Belgium and Luxembourg. All research proposals must explicitly demonstrate the scientific added value of to the complementary cross-border research activities.
The FWO is the lead agency in this agreement and will manage all bilateral FNR / FWO projects.
Funding is limited to research projects with a maximum duration of 4 years.
1. WHERE TO APPLY: LEAD AGENCY
The FWO or the FNR can act as lead-agency. Applicants can freely choose where to submit a collaborative project but must follow the rules of the respective call (also in view of project duration).
2. WHEN TO APPLY
FWO is lead agency
- The coordinating applicant (eligible for FWO funding) submits the collaborative application to FWO before 5 pm CET on the day of the call deadline.
- Documents required by the FNR (INTER Budget, INTER Budget Details; INTER Project plan) must be submitted with the main application to the FWO
- The Luxembourg based PI must submit an INTER application to the FNR, including the application submitted to the FWO (as pdf) along with the FNR INTER documents no later than 7 days after the FWO deadline
- Applications to the FNR must be submitted through the FNR’s Online Grant Management System.
FNR is lead agency
- Collaborative proposals have to be submitted to the FNR CORE call by 14:00 CET on the day of the call deadline (2021 deadline: 21 April 2021)
- Documents required by the FWO must be submitted with the main application to the FNR by 14:00 CET on the day of the call deadline (check with the FWO for more info).
- The Flanders based co-applicant must submit the application submitted to the FNR along with the FWO documents no later than 7 days after the FNR CORE deadline
- Please check the FNR CORE documents for more information.
The Lead Agency will evaluate and select the proposals, in compliance with international standards, and propose a funding decision on behalf of both organisations. The Lead Agency will make use of the standard review procedures used in the respective funding programme to which the proposals are submitted.
To be recommended for funding, a proposal must be ranked among the top 20 % in the respective funding programme (funding threshold).