CORE is the central programme of the FNR. A multi-annual thematic research programme, the prime objective of CORE is to strengthen the scientific quality of Luxembourg’s public research in the country’s priority research domains:
- Innovation in Services (IS)
- Sustainable Resource Management in Luxembourg (SR)
- New Functional and Intelligent Materials and Surfaces and New Sensing Applications (MS)
- Biomedical and Health Sciences (BM)
- Societal Challenges (SC)
CORE projects should be innovative and of high scientific quality. All projects are peer reviewed by international reviewers.
CORE projects have a lifespan of 2 – 3 years and funding is allocated on a competitive basis.
- The total budget allocated to the CORE programme for the period 2014-2017 is 70 MEUR.
- The tentative budget for 2016 is 17 MEUR.
- First time CORE applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the FNR for additional guidance prior to submitting a research proposal.
- The Principal Investigator (PI), author and leader of the project, is asked to submit proposals which are appropriate to their track record and experience.
- Postdoc & early-career researchers may apply for the programme through the CORE Junior Track, a dedicated framework for less experienced PIs.
- All applications must be submitted via the FNR’s Online Grant Management System
- Funding decisions will be communicated by mid-October 2016
SUPPORT FOR INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATIONS
Bilateral projects with project partners requesting funding, e.g. DFG (Germany), SNF (Switzerland), or FWF (Austria), may be submitted under the lead agency principle. Further collaborations are, for example, possible with Poland (in ICT) or with EMBL (in Biomed). These bilateral projects fall under ‘INTER’, the FNR’s umbrella for international cooperation.